Big Data is a term for structured and unstructured data. This data usually have a huge volume and can have different types. There are three main marks of Big Data. They also called three V’s:
- Volume. This is the first thing that comes to mind when we talk about Big Data. Big Data services process huge volumes of information. You can use Big Data for a small amount of data but this will be a wasting of recourses. The main idea is to process big volumes of information. In other cases, it’s better to work with other technologies.
- Variety. Big Data works with multiple formats and data types. You can process images, text, graphics, tables, etc. at the same time.
- Velocity. This is about the speed of data processing. Big Data allows incredibly fast processing of information.
There is one more V means Value. Big Data is very efficient but also expensive, so you need to be sure that using this technology will be feasible and profitable. Also, you might face more V’s like Veracity, Viability, Visualization and Variability. But still, three main markers are enough to understand the common Big Data features.
Why is Big Data important?
Big Data is widely used in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). Actually, we use it every day without noticing. For example, your phone and smartwatches every second collect a lot of data. It can be health data, geodata, etc.
Lots of people think that AI and ML are used only in the IT area. But Big Data almost everywhere: in healthcare, in the car industry, game dev and many more.
For example, all the drone cars used AI and ML to collect and process huge amounts of data about the road, obstructions and objects around. Healthcare uses Big Data for diagnostics. The computer can examine a lot of analysis and make a preliminary diagnosis. Game dev analyzes users’ behavior and teaches AI to play like a real person. Even restaurants and logistic companies use Big Data for route creation.
This is just a small part of the examples. Nowadays Big Data can be implemented in different industries and make your work more efficient and profitable.
Benefits of Big Data
As a technology, Big Data is really great but what about benefits for business?
- Cost-efficiency. On the one hand, the implementation of Big Data, AI and ML can be really expensive. But as a result, you can significantly increase the company’s profit and reduce previous costs.
- Automation. With AI and ML you can automate a lot of routine processes and increase data processing sped.
- Customization. As we said before, Big Data can work with multiple types of information. Thus, you can customize this technology for your business.
These are common benefits. Of course, every area has its own advantages of Big Data. Before implementation, you should understand the risks and further profit. You can include Big Data almost to any project. If you need to analyze terrain for creating maps or implement fingerprint or face recognition, Big Data will help you.
How to implement Big Data?
When you need to implement some technology you obviously need to hire a specialist who can work with it. There are a lot of roles in Big Data team like Scientist or Analyst and it’s hard to understand who exactly you need.
Thus, the best variant is to hire the whole dedicated team at once. You can refer to a Managed Service Provider (MSP) that has qualified Big Data specialists. MSP will provide you a dedicated team that will make a preliminary analysis of the current situation on the project and create the strategy of implementation.
After that, you might not need the whole team and can leave only one-two specialists for maintenance of the system. Thus, you’ll save costs for salaries which is impossible with an in-house team.
Big Data technology will bring your company profit and hight competitiveness, and a reliable MSP company will make implementation at its best.